Friday, January 16, 2015

Tourists

Obviously, lots of weird things happen in a place like this. Pretty close to the top of the list occurred on Thursday when I see a group of two older American couples, looked to be about in their late 60s, walking up the trail toward the rancho. It had already started to rain and I was soaked to the skin and partly mud crusted.


I had no idea who they were or what they were doing, but as we passed on the walkway I gave them a curt "Hey, how's it going" New York City style greeting and a brief nod. They replied with a bland, pleasant "fine". I asked around what the deal was and was informed that tourists come to the island every week or so to hike the nature trail that runs up and over to the other side of the island. We had taken that trail a few days earlier and I really couldn't get too excited about it, but apparently, its a pretty big thing on a few of the ecotourism groups. I was struck by the absolute incongruity of us busting our humps in the rain and mud while a bunch Americans strolled  by us. Even more ironic would be me taking a photo of them. Here are the results.

Have a nice day, folks. Watch out for the mud.

You can't make this stuff up...

2 comments:

  1. Look at the giant palm trees and banana fronds. Did you take cover under a banana leaf at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are ENGINEERS! We go where the work is and do not seek shelter :-)

    ReplyDelete