Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Getting it all together and bringing it on home!



Monday Morning – the start of our last full day on the island. We have not really been dry since we arrived. The mud is indescribable. A shower would be on the top of everyone’s priority list. I believe it is safe to say that we are ready to leave when we are done. Really, the only thing left to do today is to complete the plumbing for the first flush system on tank No.2, pour a few concrete pads to catch runoff water and do a few small plumbing tasks. We then need to teach the community members how to use and maintain the filters – that may be the toughest challenge. The workmen can hang the corrugated zinc tank walls on their own. We will make measurements of the schools roofline for a future project and work on arranging our passage back to Isla Colon and that’s pretty much the day. See you later.
Monday 3:00 pm local time – As of 12:40 today we have completed all our parts of the project. The rainwater collection systems, storage tanks, first flush units and the biosand filters are all up and running. The locals are responsible for hanging the corrugated zinc siding and restoring the ground around it all. We finished 1/2 day ahead of schedule, on budget, in the face of some challenging (read "crappy") working conditions. One of the most gratifying moments came when  Daniel, one of the locals, opened the tap on tank No.1 and used stored rainwater (albeit still with a hefty dose of Clorox pre-rinse) to mix concrete for the pads under the spigots. We finished up at the site, hauled our gear back to our shack, held a brief meeting and called it quits. The rest of the team has gone off for a swim on the other side of the island. I have opted to stay back here, start packing and do a bit of writing. Also, it is the first day of uninterrupted sun and after getting my fair share while putting up the first flush piping, I am happy to stay back in the relative cool of the shack.
Speaking of “the team” I have never really introduced everyone. First of all, prior to this trip I had met none of them except Jesse and Tom at the first meeting. They are an amazing group of young people and I am floored by what they have accomplished. Here is the run down:
Jesse – project lead, who has brought this thing along over the past year, computer science major.
Amber – truly fluent in Spanish (as opposed to me), industrial engineer major
Anna – the next wave of EWB-RPI leadership, environmental science and sustainabilities major
Mike – also next wave/next project lead, materials science engineer
Tom – handled all the travel arrangements (no mean trick), all around good South Jersey Boy, also materials science engineer
Kyle – former project lead, with tons of general contracting experience from working with his Dad, fellow Ulster County boy (from the Sovereign State of Saugerties), senior civil engineering major.
Scott  - mentor #1 (extraordinaire) – real environmental engineer
Me – generalized support
We were facilitated by the local crew, usually consisting of Ambrosio (who plays a mean chainsaw), his sons Bartolome and Oliver, Remillo and Daniel (a real sweetheart who heads the local school which may be a future project for us). Technical assistance of the amazing variety was provided by the legendary Ramon – a man my own age, with only 10 more children than me – a kindred tropical spirit!
Now, a few other odds and ends. Did I overpack? HELL NO!!! To everyone who gifted me items or suggested I bring something, I am in your debt. As a good general rule, if I brought it I have used it. Thanks to Leah for the travel towel (next time I bring two – a smaller one) and the camp soap. Also, headlamps (Leah, Sam & Stef), Nalgene/water bottle (Leah). Sorry I didn’t bring the travel hammock – I would have tried to use it if time allowed.  Other things – solar shower, mosquito netting, deet, water filter system and drops/tablets,  small duffel pouch for water filter (Marie), water flavoring of some sort (mio drops or Doctor Pete) and lots of venison jerky (Paul and Marion). Gail, obviously the solar panel and Sherpa have proven invaluable – you are probably right about going with larger power if it does not weigh too much. I am sorry I have not been able to post photos: a) I have not had enough sun to keep power supply, b) phone-based wifi has been undependable and c) I have just not had enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment