Tuesday, January 20, 2015

My Day at the Panama Canal - mostly pics.

Wednesday Morning. After showering, using flush toilets and sleeping on a mattress for the first time in over a week we got up early and got ready. It was time to say our goodbyes. The remainder of the group was heading home - I was staying on. We loaded the van, I joshed and teased each one as they climbed in, I asked Mike to get my big duffel for me then reminded him I wasn't going anywhere. The door closed and they were gone. I was by myself. Sadness and relief. Ruben, the van driver, had agreed to come back at noon to take me on a tour of the canal and locks. I used the morning to take a walk around the neighborhood and do my laundry. In a final burst of irony, the dryer broke while my clothes and sneakers were in it. I had planned on wearing the sneakers as my only other footwear was boots or flipflops, neither of which were suitable for this type of walking. Oh well, by now I was used to wearing the sneakers wet. I placed them in the sun for a few hours and by the time Ruben arrived they were dry enough.

I boarded the van and he and his wife, Elsie, showed me everything I had wanted to see. It was more than I had imagined and more than words can adequately describe. I will let the photos try to do it justice. In order, a few photos of the view from Ancon Hill including the old "Bridge of the Americas" and the new Centennial Bridge then a bunch of shots of the Miraflores Locks. Enjoy.













1 comment:

  1. Impressive pictures Doc!.... I bet those tall buildings have running water....

    ReplyDelete