Friday, October 7, 2016

Not Nispero

For those of you who have been following for a while, you may recall that we used an amazingly dense and hard wood down in Panama called Nispero. We actually have researched it and know its physical and material properties for construction uses.I have brought a number of samples of it back and even used it as the base for Chip Kilduffs scorpion award.




 I thought of this today while was out in my back woodlot. For the past several days I have been clearing out some of the deadfall as well as some standing dead wood and using it in the little fire pit I have. One of the trees that has fallen is a beautiful red cedar that must have been uprooted several years back in a storm and is upright though clearly dead now and at a 60 degree angle vertically. I have started to remove some of the boughs which are fairly good sized and they provide lovely wood.



















 Not only does it burn evenly and hot, it produces a delicious aroma. Most of this will be used in the fire pit (el pozo de fuego) but I cut a nice thick section that I plan on keeping and milling along the grain in maybe 1/4" - 1/2" thickness in a 6" long plate. We shall see.



Life is good. Oh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment