Friday, October 14, 2016

Hydraulic Luxury (Things Taken for Granted)

A small thing to be noted about Jinotega. While there is good municipal water, it is not present 24 hours a day. To conserve water and to repressurize the system service is shut off between 10 AM and 4 PM. Locals know this and work their day around it. it. As a visitor I was unaware of this until yesterday. After my long days hike on Wednesday up and down mountains on stone paved trails my ankles and knees were quite sore. Before heading back on my 3 1/2 hour drive to Managua I thought it might be nice to take a hot shower and run the water over my ankles and knees for a while. I climbed into the shower and turned open the faucet only to hear distant gurgling in the pipes and the hiss of air. No shower today. ( Don't forget, that means the toilets don't flush either ).
 A series of slides that I show in one of my presentations outlines the four cardinal features of our home hydraulic systems that I find defines the luxury that we enjoy. These are:
1. Point of use
2. Pressurized
3. Potable
4. Hot and cold
 It looks like I now need to add a fifth feature, continuous availability.
 It is really like they say: you never know what you have until it is taken away.

2 comments:

  1. Living in Ulster County, we have had power outages due to storms are blizzards. Being in the rural area we have well water, and I've often said that nothing makes you feel less civilized than me without water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in Ulster County, we have had power outages due to storms are blizzards. Being in the rural area we have well water, and I've often said that nothing makes you feel less civilized than me without water.

    ReplyDelete