Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Odds & Ends - 1

OK, it has really been another helluva a day and I am not sure if I will write any full entries. We'll see. I am going to throw in a few short ones of things that amuse me or catch my interest. The first one I am going to call "The Nicaraguan Bus-Roof Commerce System". So, I got up and out early to meet Juan Carlos for the drive out to Sasle. To my surprise we were not driving, we were taking the bus. So a little after 8 am we boarded the bus. Now, Nicaraguan buses are not quite the gaudy, painted up beauties that grace Panama City, but they are pretty festive. On board there is a staff of three, a driver, a conductor and a baggage handler. Large parcels and, apparently, items of commerce get loaded on the roof.





















Note the large items up on the roof rack. Now, as two buses converge upon each other the driver opens the door and the baggage handler, and possibly the conductor, swing out of the door and climb up the ladder onto the roof, while the bus is moving. Not only is it moving, it is slowing down or deccelerating. When they are side by side, the come to a complete stop, right there in the middle of a highway, traffic be damned. The baggage guys toss items from one bus roof to the other and as soon as the transaction is finished the buses pull away, guys still up on the roof.

I wonder if they have difficulty getting disability insurance...

No comments:

Post a Comment