Friday, December 5, 2014

Preparations

Today was fairly uneventful. Preparations continue. One of the really neat things about this project is that I get to wear several hats. Obviously, it is an engineering driven program so I am there for construction and implementation of the designed system, but I am also the de facto health and safety person, as well as one of only two or three people on board fluent in Spanish. Yesterday, I had Tony Guerrino write me a batch of scripts for various antibiotics, antiemetics and sundries which I picked up today. They are being compiled into a first aid kit to be housed in a newly purchased fishing tackle box. Aside from medications, I plan on bringing basic first aid supplies, a suture kit and a few 250cc bags of saline and an few IV sets. Just in case.

Tuesday nights meeting was really helpful. I met Scott Underhill and Alex Michaels who were both very supportive. I had also previously spoken with David Railsback who was also great. Spent last night filling out EWB-USA Document 408 which is the application to be a mentor. Sent that out by email to Jesse. The only other steps left are the 605 form (that's the form that states if I die or am badly messed up, I won't blame or sue EWB) and the mentors webinar which is scheduled for December 17th.

I have provided a map here to give a sense of where the project is: Isla Popa is part of the Bocas del Torro archipelago located in the upper left part of the map, near the border of Costa Rica. The canal is near the center of the country. Hopefully, while there I can get internet access so that I can post entries in real time, as well as plenty of photos. In the meantime, for those who are so inclined, I recommend the book "Drinking Water" by James Salzman: It really helps with a sense of perspective  on the magnitude of the impact water access has on our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment