Thursday, December 4, 2014

Moving Very Fast

Thursday night. Try to catch my breath but there is so much to do. Tuesday I was in NYC visiting Professor Moujalli Hourani at Manhattan College. My purpose there was to try to get a toehold with the EWB Manhattan College chapter and see what is brewing with their group. They have completed a bridge for a community in Cameroon, Africa. An interesting development arose in my conversation with Moujalli (one of the most generously spirited men I have ever known) about the possibility about developing a course in biology for civil engineers at Manhattan in the future, but more on that later. Last night was an organizational/planning meeting at RPI chapter to prepare for the January trip. It was awesome and I came away feeling much more confident about my ability to contribute to the project. We discussed everything from construction to communication with locals to shower facilities. Earlier in the day, I dropped off a bunch of prescriptions for antibiotics and other meds, and purchased a fishing tackle box to use as a first aid kit.  Tonight I am home with my back to a cozy fire doing computer paperwork for the trip. And writing this. One of my hopes from the blog is that I can interest people in the project and raise awareness (and funds) for this amazing program of Engineers Without Borders.  Here at home (especially in the Northeast) we take water abundance for granted and give very little thought to the implications of life where water is limited. It truly amazes me when I realize that people live without the fundamental necessity of adequate water for drinking, cooking and bathing: Their lives are shaped around obtaining water, any water, just for these basic tasks. I cannot imagine what it would be like spending 4 or more hours every day just hauling containers of water to and from my home just to meet my basic daily water needs. In most places of water poverty this task is delegated to women and children, diverting them from education and employment opportunities in order to procure an adequate supply of water just for that day...

There is so much to be done and I am energized to feel that I can be part of it! Keep reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment