Thursday, December 4, 2014

A New Adventure

(This entry was originally posted on November 30th 2014 at the Catskillbiking blogspot before I decided to open this new spot).

 So, here goes. Upon graduating from RPI in May with a Masters in Environmental Engineering I really had no concrete idea of what to do. I had no exit strategy from medicine nor a good plan to break in to the engineering field. For starters, I had no practical experience, since unlike my classmates I had had no opportunity for an internship or other means of hands-on work. Alternatively, if I let too much time pass not only would my engineering skills atrophy, any prospective employer would want to know what I had been doing since graduating. I spent the summer and early fall sort of adrift. In late October, I was struck by the idea of perhaps there was some type of engineering equivalent of 'Doctors Without Borders' so I randomly searched for 'Engineers Without Borders' and, lo and behold, such an organization exists. I quickly submitted my application and signed on with the RPI chapter and was amazed to discover that their project was a drinking water system on the Caribbean coast of Panama. I have always wanted to go to Panama to see the canal and realized that this was a heaven-sent opportunity for me: It could utilize my engineering skills, my medical skills and my Spanish fluency all in one shot. On a bigger view, it occurred to me that by affiliating with more than one EWB chapter this could be a short term pathway for me to build and maintain engineering experience while remaining in medicine, at least for the time being.

I made contact with the student leader of the RPI group who informed me that they had completed the assessment and design phase and were readying for the implementation phase in a January 2015 trip. I really could not believe my luck. If they could find a spot for me, great. If needed I would pay my own way and meet them there. Fortunately, with a  breath deeply held for two weeks, I was given a spot on the trip.With that nod has come a sudden bunch of plans, preparations and paperwork, as well as a case of rookie jitters.I am now in the midst of reconfiguring the on-call schedule for January, finishing all Christmas plans (including shopping, wrapping and decorating) by the end of today, then spending December planning and packing for Panama. This really should be

No comments:

Post a Comment