Monday, December 15, 2014

3 Weeks and Counting

OK, not much really going on right now. Tom is in the process of acquiring our flight tickets, which is a fairly complicated arrangement since we are all converging from different places. We will be departing from different home cities (Newark or JFK for me): The common pathway has us converging in Atlanta then down to Panama City then a small flight to Isla Popa, then (I imagine) a boat in.I believe I have everything I need both personally and as first aid resource - I just ordered two spray bottle of 100% DEET. Everything is laid out - some equipment, such as the micro water filter, needs a test run. Not certain what power tools to bring but that will get clearer as departure draws nearer. Duffel bags are laid out. Really, as Tom Petty said, "The waiting is the hardest part".

On a larger note, I would encourage everyone who reads this blog to also read the main Engineers Without Borders webpage (www.EWB-USA.com) to become familiar with the premise of this amazing organization.I would encourage you to join or show support in whatever way you can. I will also remind you of an excellent book on the subject "Drinking Water" by David Salzman. This really illuminates our very fragile relationship with water across the planet.

Lastly, I am hoping to be able to work with the Manhattan College EWB chapter on their project to develop a structurally sound bridge to cross over a ravine in Cameroon, Africa.It is well into the design phase but it's implementation is being compromised by travel bans in Western Africa as well as funding shortage. They believe they are approximately $20 000 short of having enough to implement the bridge.This may be a place where we can help. Please read on - I really thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment