Thursday, December 24, 2015

Packing List #1

Christmas Eve. Ten days until departure. Most of the large problems worked out well enough for comfort. Plane reservations for the group and hotel acommodations for me and Gail are all made. Its a little too early to actually start packing but its a good idea to be getting things ready. My biggest contribution to the group is a very well provisioned first aid kit and the ability to use it. I replaced and expanded the kit after return last time so that is pretty much set. All it needs is a quick recheck to make sure nothing is outdated. There are a few items that experience taught me is good to have along and I will periodically share them over the next week.

1. Cheap, light plastic rain ponchos. 2 or 3 of them; keep one in my backpack
2. Small nautical pulleys (3). Useful for raising items.
3. Thin nylon cord for #2
4. AAA batteries
5. Freeze dried ice cream - treat for students. Last years group had never heard of it and didn't believe me
    until I gave them some.
6. Spoon/knife eating utensil
7. Crazy glue
8. Assorted zip lock plastic bags

I will post more as I think of things.

Had a nice train ride Tuesday with Frank Sokolowski. He was heading home to Philadelphia from Rensselaer so I boarded the train in Rhinecliff and traveled down to New York City with him. We tested the Hach colorimeter that he got from the campus store room. It is quite a bit more sophisticated than my unit and can measure numerous different analytes whereas mine is exclusively for chlorine.We actually sat on board the train measuring water samples. The two meters agreed nicely and are both easy to use. All in all it was a fun trip. We hung out in Penn Station for a half hour then I boarded the next northbound train and headed back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment