Friday, November 20, 2015

Glitch

Okay. On Tuesday I reported here on the sample chlorination using rainwater that I did last Saturday. I traded emails with Frank Sokolowski who ran the samples and none of them showed any chlorine residual at all (neither free nor total). It's a good thing I refilled the barrel on yesterdays rainfall as we definitely need to do it again. Here is the error analysis I submitted to Frank.



Error Analysis – Potential Sources

1.       I have rechecked our calculations to make sure there are no unit conversion errors. I can find none and both of our calculations were performed independently and agree.
2.       The bleach I used was of uncertain age. It certainly wasn’t new. Loss of efficacy? Seems unlikely, but I will buy new bleach.
3.       Chlorine consumption/decomposition due to delay in testing? I don’t know when you did the testing and how long the samples sat. Chip Kilduff can shed some light on the time dependent aspect of chlorine degradation.
4.       Routine chlorine demand of rainwater at my house exceeds our calculations. Again, Chip is our resource.


 So, the plan is to repeat the procedure on Sunday with a bottle of new bleach and bring the samples directly up to Frank for prompt testing to eliminate those factors. I will also bring up a 4 gallon tank of untreated rainwater for Frank to use. I'll make a point to throw in some photos then. We shall see.

On another note, the blogs administrative area includes a statistics section that provides me with various breakdowns of readership. Over the past two weeks there has been a bit of a surge in views from South Korea and Japan. Now, I have no idea why folks over there would have any interest in this blog but I certainly want to reach out and say "annyeonghaseo" and "kon'nichiwa". God bless Google Translate, that's all I can say. Thanks for reading and I hope I don't bore you. Who knows, maybe you need this for some class project or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment